Universal Access to Academic Excellence in Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology Education
The SMETE Open Federation takes a global leadership role in technology in the service of learning. As a membership organization, we promote, advance, strengthen and improve the teaching, learning and comprehension of science, mathematics, engineering and technology (SME&T) education in K-12 and higher education. The primary mission of the SMETE Open Federation is to establish universal access to academic excellence in SME&T education. Serving and representing our community of administrators, learners, and educators, the SMETE Open Federation is the premier digital collection of resources and services for the nation and the world in SME&T e-learning. Among the nation's leading digital libraries, the SMETE Open Federation is recognized for advanced technology, leading-edge research, premier educational collections and active community involvement. The SMETE Open Federation and its participating libraries and services responds to its community's needs in order to advance SME&T education worldwide.
To these ends, the SMETE Open Federation is characterized by:
- A whole that is greater than the sum of its parts, in which each member has a clearly focused and valued mission and all contribute to a network of premier educational resources.
- A diverse community of educators and staff who use new technologies, evaluation techniques and curricular innovations to enhance student learning.
- A technological infrastructure based on leading-edge research that provides open access to expertise, tools, technology and services.
- Active partnerships that foster ongoing collaborative development with business and industry, cultural and social organizations, and research and educational institutions to ensure stability, scalability, and sustainability.
- Learning communities that engage in universal freedom of access to knowledge.
- Communities of individuals having a common disciplinary interest.
- Leadership in establishing higher achievement in SME&T education.
To ensure that this vision becomes a reality, the SMETE Open Federation strives to attain the following goals:
- To be a leader in innovative digital library technology and education.
- To provide users with a full spectrum of interoperability at the content, procedural and transaction levels.
- To establish, maintain, and grow a digital library that responds to the educational needs of end users.
- To support the creation and evolution of the National SMETE Digital Library.
- To establish a diversified funding model that sustains the SMETE Open Federation.
- To develop a community of learning communities who validate, use, contribute to, and support the SMETE Open Federation.